Friday, July 16, 2004

Got Fish!

Since High School I am fond of pet fishes. I remember back then when my classmates and I would spent hours in Cartimar in Pasay City, of course after class, strolling and looking for new fishes to add to our already over populated aquariums. Sometimes, we just go there to buy  fishfoods, but we can’t help to wander around and fascinate the various breed of fishes. The whole circle of friends of mine has their own aquarium to maintain and we kept on trading knowledge and secrets to beautify our aquariums.
 
Everyone must have missed this hobby of ours since we parted ways after High School. I sure do miss the bonding and the company we have hold on for years. Having the same interest and fondness, kept us together then. We do still get in touch to one another but that only happen once in a blue moon. But through Friendster and updates from one or two of our group I still realized the common interest that we have is still there. Or perhaps this is just a craze for many pet fish lovers like us. And that is the Flower Horn Fish. 
 
According to one website the Flower Hhorn Fish is basically from the Cichlid family, which is classified under the genus of Cichlasoma, which is commonly found in South America. This beautiful hybrid is thought to be the end product of cross breeding between the Cichlasoma Trimaculatus, Cichlasoma Festae, Jingang Blood Parrot, and etc. (In English - a lot of Flower Horn has been produced due to the intensified eagerness of breeders to produce the best show quality fish for the market)
 
Oh well, I bought two Flower Horn Fish sometime a month ago. And mix them together with all other pet fishes in my 35 Gal. Aquarium. Guess what? Only one Flower Horn Fish is left now, why? That fish killed the fellow Flower Horn Fish, same thing with all other fishes in my aquarium. Except for the two 10 inches Hammer Head Fish. So now I am left with three fishes in my aquarium that used to be filled with imported different kinds of Gold Fishes.
 
I should have known that the Flower Horn is not a sociable fish, that has a bad temper, a bully, selfish and eats like a pig.
 
The only consolation I get. That fish is a beauty, especially during eating time, the Flower Horn Fish simply show its magnificent full color whenever the fish foods are drop in the aquarium. 
 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I seldom leave comments on blog, but I have been to this post which was recommended by my friend, lots of valuable details, thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Your blog of the Flower Horn sounds like the fish I have in my tank. This fish kills every fish I ever had with it. I purchased three fish Flower Horn, Oscar and a Texas Cichlid and only the Flower Horn survived, now I know why. The Flower Horn must have killed them. The fish color was brownish with stripes as it matured it turned pinkish. I never seen that before. It is about 12 inches and likes to eat.